25 April 2009

So much for doing weekly training log blogs

Happy ANZAC day!

For any Non-Aussie/New Zealander's out there who don't know what ANZAC is.. Anzac Day is a national public holiday in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipolo in Turkey during World War I. Anzac Day marks the anniversary of the first major military action fought by Australian and New Zealand forces during the First World War. (and because I go to uni and have had referencing and plagerism drilled into me, I better just state that I copy-pasted that directly from old faithful Wikipedia - so for more info: click here).

So its a nice long weekend for me! No uni on Monday or Tuesday morning (because no point in holding a tute for a lecture that didn't happen). Yeay!

Not this weekend, but next weekend. As in Friday the 1st of May, its that scary time of the year again. First round of the Womens National Wheelchair Basketball League ("WNWBL"). Like last year, the first round is being held in Perth. Which is good because we don't have to travel anywhere, so can't blame travel for being tired. We also have home ground advantage, playing on the court that we train on nearly everyday and having a crowd for support.

That leads to my con for having first round a home round. So many people in the crowd that I know, to see me hit or MISS my shots, stick or totally screw up that pick, play awesomely (is that even a word?) or be completely shite. I know I'm not meant to think about it like that, in such a negative view, but I do. I hate disappointing people. I hate people seeing me fail. I hate thinking that people are probably whispering to others 'she's crap, she should have gotten that'. I tend to focus on the crap things I do in a game rather than the good things I did, even if the good things I did outway the bad.

I suppose that is why I am never satisfied with the way I play during a game. Even if we won by 20 points and I got 3 from 4 free throws and 4 from 5 field goals, 10 rebounds, 2 steals and only 1 turn-over.. It is still 1 missed free throw, 1 missed field goal, 1 too many turn-overs and I didn't help my team as much as I could have. Im never happy enough. I'm always thinking I could have been better.

The Western Stars were in the final last year (no we didn't win but hey, still the final!) so we are expected to be relatively good compared to the other teams. But we haven't played a WNWBL game since like August last year. We don't know if what we have done is good enough to beat the other teams. Have the other teams improved dramatically? Have they found a secret weapon that we aren't ready for? I hate the unknown. Sometimes its exciting. But in this case, it scares me. I HATE losing. That is what drives me to play so hard during a game. I hate losing for myself, I hate losing for my team mates, I hate losing for my coach, I hate losing for the crowd that supports me. I don't want to be a disappointment.

If our home round wasn't the first round, then we would have already played a few games and have a few results under our belt and I would have an inkling to what to expect and what to tell my crowd to expect. You can't be disappointed if you don't have high expectations, right?

I know I sound like a huge pessimistic princess right now, but hey, Im just being honest. Im probably abusing Blogger, letting it be my vent outlet, but my vents might make interesting reading. Especially for me, who can re-read this after the event. Hinesight is a wonderful thing.

Oh, and before I go, even though I just told you my thoughts about me playing in front of people I know, I do still like having our crowd the best crowd in the WNWBL. So come. There will be raffles on the Friday and Saturday night games :)
  • 1st May - 6pm
  • 2nd May - 2pm and 6pm
  • 3rd May - 11.30am
(who we are versing is totally irrelevant). All games are being played on court 1 of the Herb Graham Rec. Centre in Mirrabooka. See WSWA website for more info.

I'll keep you posted :P

No comments:

Post a Comment